Generation Y a/k/a Millennials promise to:
- Hold only productive meetings. Hallelujah!
- Shorten the workday by focusing on productivity.
- Bring back administrative assistants — even if Gen Y pays for them out-of-pocket and even if they’re virtual.
- Redefine retirement by taking multiple mini-retirements.
- They’ll find real mentors by teaching older workers about technology and in return be guided through office politics.
- Put human back into human resources.
- Promote people to management based on their managerial skills, not their seniority.
- Continue to value what their parents have to offer because Gen Y respects their parents and their parents respect their Gen Y children.
- Trade off potential raises and promotions for higher starting salaries.
- Re-invent the performance reviews by increasing their frequency from semi-annual or even annual to on-the-spot.
I’m with them on number 1 and 2.